RE: Comments on draft-ietf-marid-core-01 xml use

2004-06-10 00:36:45

Jim Lyon wrote:
In summary, the requirements that drove the
current design include:
1. It MUST be possible for organizations to publish email
policy records without installing any new software. (This
pushes us toward TXT records.)

Ted Hardie wrote:
This isn't a MUST and can't be; it has to be an assessment
of the rewards of the deployment versus the cost.
Attempting to short circuit that so absolutely is a pretty
clear signal that the rewards won't be sufficient to warrant
significant time or effort on anybody's part.  That's not a
signal we want to send, at least in my personal opinion.

I have to disagree with this. If I had to install new software, I would
never had published my SPF record in the first place (NTM that there is
no software that I really like for my platform as of now).

The way to get a new something adopted is to make pre-requisites small
and even better non-existent. Reading it backwards, the best way to kill
MARID before it's even born will be to require domain owners to install
some software that might not even exist yet, that might (and likely
will) be buggy, might be costly, etc; for a protocol that does not exist
this is suicide.

It MUST be possible for organizations to publish email
policy records without installing any new software. I
would not do it otherwise and I'm not the only one.

This is a _strong_ MUST. Don't confuse organizations that want to
publish email policy records and organizations that want to test said
records.

Michel.