RE: Towards resolution on Wildcards

2004-06-10 00:22:17

John Levine wrote:
Down the road, I remain quite concerned about XML bloat

'nough said about this

and about the practical question of how well the
DNS will work if there start being a lot of queries
falling back to TCP.

I don't think this even is a question. Just with what was posted over
the last 3 days here and on spf-discuss, between Microsoft proxying,
D-Link implementation and access-lists there is enough trouble to
generate a backslash that would eventually kill the mechanism. I will
add that the two companies mentioned above are only examples that have
the infortune of being picked at just because they have a large market
share.

In a perfect world, we would have a new RR type earlier than some of us
retire, and DNS over TCP would work. Problem is we don't live in a
perfect world; the point is not whether a new RR type would be better or
if queries over TCP would be nice. The point is that if this WG wants
anything deployed soon, both non-TXT RRs and DNS over TCP queries are
non-starters.

Markus Stumpf wrote:
During the last two days I tried to catch up with
the emails and drafts and more than one time I was
close to ROTFL reading about where this group went to.

Personally, I would be more inclined to cry; I'm sure spammers and
joe-jobbers have a good laugh at it though.

Michel.