RE: Towards resolution on Wildcards

2004-06-09 17:52:27

Apols for top posting am on rim.

I beleive that wildcards are necessary, but that it is acceptable for a
wildcard response to result in return of irrelevant data.

I do not see introduction of a new record as being relevant here. If we
start fixing the dns server to add new records we can fix wildcards support
in those servers. I regard the core dns spec as broken with respect to
wildcards since SRV is a significant capability.

1) only txt records have relevance,  2) wildcards are required, but
*.example.com provides an acceptable solution
3) not applicabe
4) I think the side effects are aceptable and manageable.

I am prepared to accept a new rr tied to marid as a means of creating a
forcig function for dnsext. I think this even makes good sense. But I do not
expect to ever use it and I do not see it as a route for addressing core
requirements.

I think it makes good sense to expect Windows 2007 to support dnsext and a
new rr as a checkbox item. But that will have no relevance in any timescale
that is relevant for this group.