Re: Towards resolution on Wildcards

2004-06-10 08:02:04

"Jim Lyon" <jimlyon(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:
If I'm behind a Microsoft firewall (and I am, at the moment), I simply
cannot see a new record type that you've published.  The firewall won't
pass a port 53 UDP packet, and the DnsQuery API can't cope with a new
record type.

  Not entirely seriously... but new RR types can't affect systems
which don't pass DNS packets, or systems which don't implement DNS.

  To a large extent, systems behind such a firewall are *not* on the
Internet.  They are on a private network which happens to use some,
but not all, Internet protocols.  NAT gateways have a similar effect,
so your firewall isn't unique in that regard.

  To phrase a new question: Is MARID intended to solve problems in
private networks, or on the Internet?

  My guess as to the answer is that as the IETF is the *Internet*
group, it defines *Internet* protocols, and doesn't deal with private
networks.  So systems which aren't on the Internet, and systems which
don't implement Internet protocols, are explicitly outside of the
scope of MARID.

  Alan DeKok.