RE: Reality check please

2004-06-10 07:20:39

Gordon said

I wish domain vendors were better about this sort of thing
but we're going to see spammer-friendly registrars no matter
what this group comes up with.

Excuse the thread drift, but (if in the US) wouldn't they be accessories
to a crime under CANSPAM?

   ----------------------------
   G. Waleed Kavalec
   Baca, Stein, White and Associates
   281-342-2646

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Fecyk [mailto:gordonf(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 5:33 PM
To: IETF MARID WG
Subject: RE: Reality check please

And a point which is deliberately ignored is the problem of 0.10 USD
throwaway domains and short-TTL bot networks. Yeah, I know, this will
be solved anytime later with accreditation services.

I agreed with you on every point you brought up until you got to here.

And then I agreed with you on every point.

This is a sore one for any domain-based verification system.  Throw-away
domains, forged sub-domains and such are going to happen as soon as this
takes off.  I wish domain vendors were better about this sort of thing
but we're going to see spammer-friendly registrars no matter what this
group comes up with.

What will happen though, is there'll be a chain of accountability.  Or a
web of accountability, if you wish, to compare with a web of trust.  You
will be able to hold someone responsible for the forged e-mail, wether
it's a clueless administration that whitelists the entire net for their
domain, a clueless administration with a 0wnzd server, a clueless
registry, a deliberately malicious registry, a spam enterprise, or
whatever.

It's still going to be up to recipients to decide to hold senders
accountable.

Hm, perhaps that belongs in the Security Considerations section of
marid-core.  That this technology only effectively points fingers, and
it's still up to recipients to act on who's being fingered, er, pointed
at.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>