Re: Working toward unity on XML

2004-06-16 06:35:20

Nice write-up Greg!

[comments inline]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Connor" <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org>
To: <ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 1:14 AM
Subject: Working toward unity on XML

Position 3. Implement both, let domain owners decide:
Plain SPF and XML MUST be supported by all implementations.

Position 4. Leave it up to the MTA:
Plain SPF MUST be supported.  XML SHOULD be supported.

The engineer side of my brain leans toward #3.     If we go this direction,
it will inevitable result in Position #4.

It is easier to publish a DNS record than deploy the software to use them.
It does not mater what we (or anyone) put on paper,  If the MTAs don't use
the MARID record, the exercise is moot.  Since the MTA authors and system
admins will have choices, they will choose the simplest approach that work
for them (not us).

No matter what we all think,  we are on the road to #4.

-Sam