Re: CSV, NBB

2004-06-20 14:13:19

"Alan" == Alan DeKok <aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org> writes:

    Alan> Roy Badami <roy(_at_)gnomon(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> wrote:
    >> Personally I'm very strongly against any mandate for accepting
    >> and destroying messages.

    Alan>   This is already happening on the net today, due to
    Alan> deficiencies in SMTP.

I agree it's happening; I remain to be convinced that it's a good
thing...

    Alan>   That requirement is impossible to implement in practice.

RFC1123 and 2821 do contain a note that this may not be possible in
all circumstances.

    Alan>   Bounced where?  How can you tell that the bounce path is
    Alan> valid, and that you're not spamming the MAIL FROM site with
    Alan> bounces from forged messages?

Bounced to the MAIL FROM.  I agree that you can't tell that it's
authentic.  But silently dropping messages when an administrator
misconfigures their MARID record is going to make debugging difficult.

IMHO the correct place to drop unwanted bounces is at the MTA
receiving the bounce, since it is in the best position to determine
whether it relates to a message originated by that address.

        -roy