Re: CSV, NBB

2004-06-18 20:49:38

Dave, John, Doug:
Have you considered and rejected or not considered adding the NBB idea that I threw out a while back to the CSV spec?

For convenience:

The NBB idea is:
Take CSV, and add a new requirement: mail that has failed (as in
there is a MARID record AND the sending IP isn't there AND there's no
?all) a 2821.FROM check MUST NOT be bounced; instead it MUST either be
refused at SMTP time, or accepted and destroyed.   In other words, DON'T
require SRS, but DO require that mail that goes via non-SRS systems not
lead to bounces to  systems that didn't originate the original message.

What will this requirement break? Well, let's be up front. Fundamentally it breaks (for a very small subset, as I'll show!) what I think is an oft-broken requirement: no mail be destroyed (or it could specify that such mail goes to postmaster, like double-bounces, but that's a broadly violated requirement already (e.g. some major ISPs dump mail they think is spam into /dev/null.) It doesn't break SRS-compliant forwarders AND it doesn't break non-SRS forwarders, except if the final recipient decides it wants to bounce or refuse a message, that bounce or refusal won't get back to a sender IF she has MARID records. It doesn't break mailing lists or greeting card sites or require that they change. Unlike SPF, it DOESN'T require that every end user use an MTA authorized for the 2822.From they're using! If a legitimate user uses an unauthorized MTA, her mail will still get through, but any email that she sends to invalid addresses (eg. typos) or that bounces for some other reason won't get back to her. A further enhancement would be that SMTP servers that are unable to get a message a trusted user sends out for any reason would be allowed to bounce the message back to the user. If everyone implements SRS, it breaks nothing, and if no one does, the stuff it breaks is, I argue, not critical.