RE: Why not XML

2004-06-22 13:04:39

I also know numerous mail admins (many MCXX certified) who don't understand
even the simple concepts
of the bare SMTP protocol.  (Probably because most of them don't get taught
what's under the hood).
But when I encounter this, I can teach them the necessities for problem solving
(telnet port 25, use
simple SMTP commands for diagnosis).

I cringe at the thought of having to teach someone how to problem solve and
debug a bad SPF record
in XML.  It would be bad enough with SPF v1, a person would have to learn SPF
theory and then apply
it.  But with XML first they would have to be taught XML and only then could we
get to the real
topic at hand which is the SPF theory.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Hadmut
Danisch
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 3:28 PM
To: IETF MARID WG
Subject: Re: Why not XML

wayne wrote:

There are also some not very technical/rational reasons:

* Many mail admins don't like/understand XML.

I do know so many mail admins who don't like/understand DNS.
Therefore we shouldn't use DNS.

* XML is promoted by MS a lot, and many mail admins don't like MS.

Correct. I don't like MS either.

As far as I know MS promotes the use of e-mail, computers,
and internet.

We should stop using e-mail, computers and internet.

Hadmut