Re: Emotions, Encoding, and Ignorance (Was: Why not XML)

2004-06-23 06:31:40

Sean Comeau wrote:
But people seemed to feel that getting everyone to upgrade their
nameservers in addition to their MTAs would be an impossible task.

Not to defend Microsoft's existing design but I was under the impression
that we're using TXT because of bad design choices by the DNS team at
Microsoft.

Specifically, they can't query for a new RR type when behind an ISA
firewall.

Maybe this standard should [...] require a new MARID record.

That's the "clean" approach. However, I don't know how hard that is for
the sysadmins. The MTA must be upgraded, that's a given. Would upgrading
DNS be a showstopper?

You should be able to put structured, binary data in TXT anyway; that's
how I read the RFC, anyway.

Cheers,
--
Luis Bruno                                UTM: 29T 629481E 4511776N 576m
"14) Always remember that Windows NT administration is to Unix and WAN