Re: Why not XML

2004-06-23 09:05:06

Michael R. Brumm wrote:

I'm sure it came as a complete surprise to me that the SPF implementation I worked on for over a
month was just a "public relations coup" and has "never been a technical
invention".

Just spending a month of time doesn't necessarily turn anything into a technical invention.

And intentionally misinformed journalists? Isn't that a bit redundant? Can a
person actually be guilty of misinforming journalists, or does it occur
naturally?

Oh yes, a person can intentionally tell the untruth in order to cause the journalist
to write the untruth. This is what happened.

Abusing TXT records? Is this your "irony and sarcasm"? I honestly can't tell.

Ask the DNS people. They'll explain.

Obviously, the best technical solution would be a binary representation in a newly allocated RR type. However, this is not a practical solution for at least two more years.

Thank you very much for confirming this as the best technical solution.
This is exactly where all this discussion started, this is what RMX is.
RMX was and is a binary representation in a newly allocated RR type.

May I remember you that SPF started as a plagiarism of RMX and
was explicitely announced as such? The only "invention" of SPF was to
not use a new RR type and to not use binary representation (which was,
if I remember well, taken from another proposal).

For the purpose of discussion, let's assume that your estimation about
two years is correct: RMX is almost two years old by now. SPF is a little bit more than one year old. The SPF circus caused a severe delay in the evolution of
such a mechanism, a delay of about a year right now.
SPF was the idea to use plaintext in TXT records.

And now you say that the best technical solution would be a binary representation in a newly allocated RR type, as RMX proposed from the very beginning, but we can't do this anymore because we now lack that time we've lost through the SPF circus proposing
a different way that you now consider as worse?

Don't you say that SPF prevented exactly that what you yourself call
"the best technical solution"?

Is that what you call a technical invention?

Hadmut