Re: moving the anonymous mail argument to ASRG

2004-06-24 21:14:32

David-

In case you missed it the first two times, DO NOT POST ABOUT THIS TOPIC ON THIS LIST ANYMORE. This is a WORKING group, not a play area. If you disagree with, or need clarification of the list policy you should write to the chairperson privately.

Everyone else- I would strongly advise not to respond to any post on this topic, whether agreeing or refuting. Just remind people it is off-topic. Replying to any of the specific points is also off-topic and just encourages another response.

Thanks.
gregc

--David Wall <d(_dot_)wall(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> wrote:

Well, maybe.  I have no interest in arguments that it's bad to
authenticate mail because people can't send anonymous mail.  That
leads briskly to a scenario where anyone can say anything, but it's
pointless because nobody's listening.

I can mail a letter without being identified or authenticated.  Why should
email be more restrictive than postal mail?

Not all authenticated speech is spam.  Sometimes it's a call for
revolution. Sometimes a call for a rave.  Sometimes a call for help with
drug problems or other issues in which people don't want to be
identified.  Are all AA meetings pointless with nobody listening because
they only know first names?

Such discussions are plain ignorant, and those who fail to abide by
liberty are free to use services that are designed specifically for what
they want without ruining email for others.  Use those systems.

There's a variety of ways to send anonymized mail, ranging from web
mail to remailers like mixmaster.  If someone wants to propose a
specific topic related to anonymous mail, perhaps a BCP on
anonymizers, I'd be willing to consider it.

Why do all email users have to adapt to those systems.  Why don't those
who want to be fully authenticated adapt and use systems designed for it.
You can pay to send your messages securely, with full tracking and
authentication today.  These services are great.  All businesses SHOULD
use them, and I don't know why so many fear open source software but
jumped on free email with all its insecure warts.  Businesses created the
spam mess, and they should leave and use commercials delivery services
like they use the post office, FedEx, etc.

David