RE: The licensing issue

2004-07-19 04:22:54

Ian Peter wrote on July 18, 2004 7:38 PM

"I suggest the appropriate role for IETF is to examine the
technical standards issues, and make a call on that, if
necessary with a "subject to clarification of licensing"
condition."

Many people have expressed their concern. Harry has
indicated MS plans to put forward its position very
shortly, while outlining in general terms the position and
approach. Wayne has responded by putting forward further
concerns while expressing a need for urgency.

Given the state of play, in fairness I suggest the working
group can't simply dig the issue. Apart from RFC 3668 and
in particular section 8 -
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3668.txt?number=3668 - as many
have pointed out, if the IETF were to proceed with Sender
ID without a "clean position." the uproar would likely be
horrendous making any work done for naught.

Having said this, hopefully the licensing issue will soon
become moot, allowing people to evaluate the various
proposals on a level playing field.

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC And Sender Authentication