RE: The licensing issue

2004-07-18 10:08:57

On Friday, July 16, 2004 11:24 AM, mxcomp(_at_)brycer(_dot_)com wrote

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, william(at)elan.net wrote:

Lets wait until Microsoft comes up with explanation about patent
claims,

I agree with this sentiment.  Unless and until we
collectively know what (if any) IP is claimed, and under what
circumstances, much of this discussion is metaphysical WRT
the drafts.  I also agree with another poster who, IIRC,
cautioned that 48 hours response time for answering a request
is insufficient time for an organization of any size to
respond.  While I appreciate that many folks may be able to
respond more quickly, and may also be devoting most of their
attention to this WG, organizations of sufficient size have
many issues competing for attention, regulations and legal
requirements to meet, due diligence, and so forth.

I understand that some WG members wish to express their
support or lack thereof for various licensing regimes.
Perhaps the chair(s) could provide some guidance to that
discussion vis a vis the drafts.

It might also be helpful if we all assumed that we are all
working in good faith.

Perhaps an indication from MS regarding when the WG might
expect a response would be appreciated by all.

--
     Bryce Ryan    mxcomp @ brycer.com

Thanks Bryce.  I am drafting an FAQ to answer the questions that have
been raised.  As I'm sure you can appreciate, this needs review and
approval by attorneys (plural) and other folk here.  I hope to be able
to publish this FAQ to the list within the next few days.

I understand and appreciate the questions people have been asking.  Let
me just say at this point that our intent is to contribute our IP to
this working group and to encourage widespread implementation and
adoption.  I very much appreciate everyone's patience while I gather the
answers to your questions.