Re: Is the back door open?

2004-07-28 14:39:36

Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> wrote:
Are you saying that ralph cannot trust the data coming from fred and
bob?  If so, then there is a larger problem here.

  I think Doug's point is more that information necessary for the MX
to implement Sender-ID isn't distributed, but the incoming mail is.

  I won't get into issues of Sender-Id, but I haven't run an off-site
secondary MX for "striker.ottawa.on.ca" for about 5 years.  It was too
difficult for me to distribute & maintain my anti-spam rules to the
secondaries, so I just stopped using secondaries.

  From what I can see, many other domains have the same problem.  Most
of the mailing lists I run have messages which sit in the outgoing
queues for days, because the destination MX is flaky.  Over time, the
number of such messages has been increasing.

  One of the benefits of any MARID approach *should* be that secondary
MX's may now query & cache the MARID rules, which means that they can
apply those rules themselves... which means secondary MX's may become
more useful.

  Alan DeKok.