Re: Is the back door open?

2004-07-28 15:13:54

On Jul 28, 2004, at 5:47 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:
  I think Doug's point is more that information necessary for the MX
to implement Sender-ID isn't distributed, but the incoming mail is.

I understand this point. I just don't think it is valid because it assumes that the "To:" identity (either 2821 or 2822) is part of the Sender-ID (or SPF) equation. Why does an MTA need to know the "To" in order to check the "From"?

  I won't get into issues of Sender-Id, but I haven't run an off-site
secondary MX for "striker.ottawa.on.ca" for about 5 years.  It was too
difficult for me to distribute & maintain my anti-spam rules to the
secondaries, so I just stopped using secondaries.

This is my experience as well.

  One of the benefits of any MARID approach *should* be that secondary
MX's may now query & cache the MARID rules, which means that they can
apply those rules themselves... which means secondary MX's may become
more useful.

I agree.

-andy