Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-24 09:52:15

All,

Again, I come out of the darkness of my lurking position and speak up my
mind.

I have been watching the discussions on this list continuously, and
technically there is not a lot against Sender-ID (although some proper
objections have been made, which I will not repeat here).

I have been worried about the licensing issue, but have been convinced
to wait it out. Now, with the 23 august deadline passed, I still see
that there is reason for concern. Although a license has been prepared,
it still does not say what exactly is licensed.

I refer to Harry Katz' remark:

If you have any further questions about the license, I encourage you to
consult with your own attorney and/or email your question to
stdsreq(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com(_dot_)  Someone from our legal department
will answer
your questions.

I am not prepared to contact my attorney (i don't have one) to do
open-source development on Sender-ID. For me, this means all work on
Sender-ID is a nono. I will continue to labour for SPF+SRS. I can only
hope the SPF Classic drafts (or better, Unified SPF) will be MARID's
proposal, replacing the technically imperfect and legally troublesome
Sender-ID proposal, but failing that I (and I believe many others)
will continue work on SPF.

It would be a shame if this leads to a split, where one part of the
industry/community works on Sender-ID and another works on SPF. This
will frustrate the general cause we are 'fighting' for.

Koen Martens

P.s.: note that there are many people lurking on the list as did I,
reluctant to step in and join a debate among real experts that seem to
have a more than thorough knowledge of email. I hope many of them will
step forward, and voice their concern about this IPR business now, or
else it might just be too late.

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.