Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-24 15:48:02

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:48, Eric Allman wrote:
As near as I can tell, the question
of GPL compatibility is quite ambiguous at this time.

I'm sorry, but the [L]GPL incompatibility couldn't be more unambiguous:

1.  Choice of law restrictions, choice of venue restrictions, and poison
    pills are widely understood to be incompatible with the [L]GPL.

2.  A distributor of an implementation of SenderID would
    have no way of allowing all recipients to modify and further
    redistribute that implementation, which means that it simply
    can't be [L]GPL compatible.

It's too bad the mxcomp list restricted discussion of licensing issues
before yesterday's deadline.  I truly believe we could have ended up
with a licensing solution that everyone could have been pleased as punch
about.

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com