Re: Reputation services for SenderID

2004-08-28 04:56:04

I'm not sure that this line of discussion below is on-topic, so if I'm wrong to follow up, please whack me:

This is a listing service that, for a setup up fee and so much per month,
will accept lists of IP addresses.

Not an accurate representation. It's an accreditation service which researches, verifies, and accredits IP addresses which are listed in the database. Senders do indeed pay a monthly fee for listing, which is how it is supported so that we can make it available for free for receivers to query. There is no set-up fee. There is an application fee if the senders are not otherwise known to us, and fairly well, through industry channels. That fee is used to do a background check, check references, etc., as part of the accreditation process.

  These types of IP based white-listing
services existed well before SPF.

IADB is not, emphatically not, a whitelist. The information contained in IADB about the IPs and the mail flowing therefrom is purely factual and objective, with no value judgement made at all, nor expectation about what querying sites will do with that information - use it to accept mail, use it to reject mail, use it to figure out lottery numbers - it's entirely up to the querying site. That's the whole purpose of IADB - to put as much _factual_ information into the hands of the querier as possible so that they can make informed, educated decisions and choices about how to process email coming from any given IP address (whereas whitelists and blacklists tell you whether you should accept or reject that email).

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
President/CEO
Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of SJ
Committee Member, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop