RE: Sendmail releases open source Sender ID milter for testing

2004-08-31 11:34:49

[wayne]
This seems pretty clear, if you want to rebrand
or redistribute the source code, you need to
contact MS and get a license.  Sourceforge is
*not* the implementor, Sendmail is.  Souceforge
is just redistributing the source code.

I personally don't think Sourceforge is a distributor in this case. They
are merely a courier, like FedEx. If I FedEx a CD containing a SenderID
implementation to my buddy across town, does FedEx have to sign the MS
license? Obviously not.

IANAL, of course, so I ask the lawyers out there: is there a strict
legal definition of a "(re)distributor" of software?

        -ryan-