Re: Updated Sender-ID License Faq (was acceptable use)

2004-09-01 11:03:28

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Ahh. Yes, I missed that.  I think the GPL specifically answers this
question:

http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html

"Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software patents. We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free program will
 individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the program
proprietary. To prevent this, we have made it clear that any patent must
 be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all."

Sender-ID is licensed for everyone's free use and it is not necessary for individual users or distributors of the program
to obtain independent licenses.

Royalty-free does not mean "free". In exchange for one of these licenses, you give up significant rights.
It is very clear to me that the SenderID license is not a
genuine impediment here. The impediments are being created by
people who want to see them.

Perhaps you haven't read Microsoft's updated Sender-ID license FAQ:

Q15: Is Microsoft s Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License compatible with the GPL?

A: Unlike other open source software licenses, the GPL includes a provision that appears to prohibit the distribution of code that is subject to patent licenses that are not sub-licensable and/or are limited for a particular purpose like implementing a specification. While almost all open source licenses require that the code be freely modifiable and redistributable with or without modification, only the GPL appears to expressly prohibit distribution of code if those requirements can not be satisfied. Microsoft's Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License Agreement does not prohibit the use of any open source license including the GPL. However, because the Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License Agreement is offered for implementation, distribution and use of the specification, Microsoft believes that the GPL would prohibit the distribution of this patented technology.

(Although I believe that use of this text falls under 'fair use', I may be in violation of Microsoft's copyrights by pasting this excerpt from their FAQ. To mitigate my own and your liability, please snip this section from any replies)