Re: In favour of Sender ID (was: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier.)

2004-09-01 11:50:32

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:01:38AM -0700, Alan Hodgson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:13:06AM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Sender-ID is licensed for everyone's free use and it is not
necessary for individual users or distributors of the program
to obtain independent licenses.

The license claims to grant a "non-transferable, non-sublicenseable" right to
distribute source code copies of Licensed Implementations.  That strongly
implies, to me at least (IANAL), that distributors require their own licences.
Legal opinions provided on the list to date appear to agree.

That is how I understand the license too. Sure, microsoft may not sue
just anybody who does not comply with their terms, but if they can for
their own benefit they will. If they can damage for example linux in
any way by misusing this patent ordeal, they will!

Please don't give me this 'assume all members of the list act in good
faith': microsoft is not even a member of this list.

Really, i've had it with this workgroup. Despite a flood of messages
protesting against senderid both technically and on the matter of
licenses, the chairs keep pushing for senderid, which in my turn makes
me wonder who really runs this show: the ietf or microsoft.

And if you're not in favour of senderid, you are kindly asked to just
leave. Well, maybe that's what we all should do, that'll surely get
MARID adopted world-wide.

Good bye.

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.