Re: In favour of Sender ID (was: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier.)

2004-09-01 12:01:05

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Ahh. Yes, I missed that.  I think the GPL specifically answers this
question:

http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html

"Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software patents. We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free program will
 individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the program
proprietary. To prevent this, we have made it clear that any patent must
 be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all."

Sender-ID is licensed for everyone's free use and it is not necessary for individual users or distributors of the program
to obtain independent licenses.

While that may be true, nevertheless several attorneys have stated that Sender-ID is not compatible with the GPL and other open source licenses. With all due respect, until I hear from another attorney otherwise, those opinions carry a lot of weight over others who are not attorneys including myself. Add to this the opinion of Microsoft lawyers as well. Perhaps Verisign's legal counsel disagrees and we'll be happy to hear his or her opinion, if you can obtain it for us.

In the context of this standard, once again the question is whether the IPR issue cause problems with deployment. Judging from announcements made by various companies in the last few days, it seems that the big boys have no problems with this. However, ISPs and domain owners are the ones who will be publishing these records, and it remains to be seen whether the IPR issue will delay their rollout. The very fact that people are confused about the license, already points to potential problems.

It is very clear to me that the SenderID license is not a
genuine impediment here. The impediments are being created by
people who want to see them.

In my personal opinion any IPR Microsoft may be claiming can only be based directly on ASRG discussions and other related mailing lists, as well as IETF drafts. I also agree with Hadmut that the PRA "agorithm" is too obvious and additionally, it looks very much like fetchmail's "algorithm".

Therefore, IMHO, this situtation is starting to smell just like the case of the IDN WG described in RFC 3669 - a company following progress of the working group (or in this case a research group) and then patenting ideas coming up in the discussion. In the case of IDN, the IPR claims were dismissed as worthless and the standard moved along. Whether this is a viable option for this WG, is something that remains to be seen.

<rant>
One thing that keeps bugging me is how hiddenly all of this came about. Phil, you of all people always made sure to include a disclaimer on any potential idea that Verisign might seek to patent coming out of ASRG discussions. Microsoft employees did not do that simple courtesy (whether Microsoft's lack of disclosure granted rights to the IETF is something I will leave to the lawyers). This creates a precedent and a chilling effect on the operation of the entire IETF community which *is not a good thing*. Should we now worry about every single potential patent that might be filed on our discussions just because some company decides to sic their lawyers on it?

I am not blaming any of the Microsoft employees that were involved in this. Quite the opposite, I am very impressed with what they have done for us and the steps they took. I would like to commend Bob, Harry, George, Jim and others for pushing this and agreeing to work within the IETF process when other options were available. Nevertheless, whoever is responsible for this IPR issue at Microsoft, perhaps the lawyers, should have told us earlier about this, and published the license long before the last call period started. It would have made things much easier for all parties involved.
</rant>

Yakov