Re: Motion to abandon Sender ID

2004-09-01 22:47:55

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

This may be naive in terms of the workings of the group, and protocol...but rather than abandon Sender I.D., why not contact MS and explain to them the concerns, and let them clarify? Ask them to put in writing explicitly what their patent covers with respect to the items of concern (or, conversely, to put in writing expressly those things which the patent is warranted to *not* cover), and ask them to further rewrite the license to address and clarify those areas of concern as well?

They have obviously put a lot of time and effort in to this, and while I absolutely agree there are problems with things as they stand today, and fully expect MS, as any other company, to cover their investments and their asterisks, in any negotiation, and at this point this is what it is, it makes sense to say to them "here are the problems which keep it from moving forward - will you address those problems, or do we need to abandon it and move on?"

I agree with Anne here - I want to do the same. If we can resolve these issues and move forward, it would be very helpful.

On a followup note, I sincerely hope that this quote is NOT entirely true (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1639576,00.asp):

"Allman also isn't optimistic about Microsoft making Sender ID open-source friendly. "It's pretty clear that it's going to take an act of whatever deity Microsoft worships in order to get them to back down on the sublicensing issue. They made it absolutely clear to us that they were not even going to consider changing this, and the legal folks made it further clear that they would rather see Sender ID die than back down."

Yakov