Re: Motion to abandon Sender ID

2004-09-02 07:01:59

 "Jonathan Gardner" <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> wrote:
Therefore, I move that Sender ID be removed from the MARID recommendations
because it can never be a standard in the open source community due to its
licensing terms and the uncertainty of pending patent claims.

I agree with the motion.

I still think that Sender-ID is technically superior to SPF classic, but as
Wayne said, it's a ticking bomb and I'm not willing to sit on it hoping that
it won't blow off. I'm not against proposing a "last" deadline to Microsoft
to come with a new license if it has a spirit similar to:
    We are going to trash Sender-ID on September 15th if Microsoft does
    not offer a license fully compatible with the major Open Source
licenses,
    including the GNU Public License, before that date."

In its place,
we should recommend SPF version 1, or SPF "classic", as currently adopted
and implemented by over 70,000 recorded domains.

I would rather go with SPF Unified (http://spf.pobox.com/unified/). In any
way, if we decide to trash Sender-ID, we'll clearly miss the deadline and we
should take the time to discuss and test an alternative solution. I'd rather
have an unencumbered final draft by Christmas than Sender-ID as it is right
now.

My 2 cents,
GFK's
--