Re: (DEPLOY) In Support of Sender ID

2004-09-06 03:02:31

On 3 Sep 2004, at 20:16, Rand Wacker wrote:

Sender ID approved mail provides you with the benefit in that it is
authenticating a well-comprehended user address, the From: header. This is something that's easy for users and admins to comprehend and whitelist. Whitelisting of the envelope is more complex and won't be understood by a
large portion of users out there.

Unfortunately whitelisting and blacklisting of addresses happens today (in most MTAs that I'm aware of) on the envelope address, not the headers, and since a whitelisting has to override a blacklisting you're suggesting a significant shift in operating procedure (from rejection at MAIL FROM to rejection at EODATA). As someone responsible for anti-spam for billions of mails per month I can't imagine that's a change we'd want to make lightly, especially given the increased cost of holding off the rejection until EODATA.

Another thing to remember is that the people at the coal face of spam attacks don't want to be able to whitelist more. They want to get rid of more spam. Those who want to be able to improve whitelisting have something to sell you (this isn't necessarily bad, but it tends to be true). Some have argued that being able to validate and accredit domains will allow you to turn up the strength of your spam filters, but anyone who has worked on real world spam filters (SpamAssassin and a commercial filter here) will be able to tell you that this is very much non trivial.

We would make the change if it had a significant benefit to our customers, but in this thread there has already been what I consider strong enough proof (in response to your large bank example) that everything we need for whitelisting even complex mail routing is possible using the envelope address anyway.

While today there are a number of MUAs that don't display the envelope address, the MUAs will have to change to display whichever of the MAIL FROM or the PRA we're validating.

Furthermore, almost none of the businesses we work with allow their users to whitelist addresses of their own choosing, at least not with without admin approval. This stuff happens today on the envelope, and while it has taken some training it is not a significant barrier.

I agree with you that we should move forwards with Sender-ID assuming Microsoft can fix their license issues. Certainly one of the benefits of moving forwards is to approve -protocol, which is the real meat of Unified SPF and will bring us gains when we come to implementing crypto validation.

Matt.