RE: TECH-ERROR (-core): misuse of Resent- fields

2004-09-07 10:47:18

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Harry Katz wrote:

Unfortunately, the RFC is by no means clear on this point.  In fact it's
quite ambiguous.

I disagree.

Now presumably under circumstances of some description, having seen a
message delivered into my inbox I can press a hypothetical 'reintroduce'
button (if not, then what are the headers for?).

It's not hypothetical: Pine has such a function (which it confusingly
calls "bounce"). We use it quite frequently to resend a message to the
address it should have been sent to in the first place (e.g. from the
webmaster team to the postmaster team).

It boils down to the fact that the language quoted is not consistent: it
says use the headers, but not with "forwarding" (without defining the
term) yet clearly their only utility  is in conjunction with forwarding
by any reasonable definition of the word.

It has a whole paragraph dedicated to defining the two usual meanings of
forwarding, viz. encapsulation forwarding (using the MIME type
message/rfc822 or non-MIME encapsulation in the body of the new message)
and alias forwarding (as implemented by the Sieve redirect command and the
Unix .forward and /etc/aliases files). "Reintroduction" is explicitly
defined to be neither of these actions, whether or not you think it is a
kind of forwarding.

It is unfortunate that most of the terminology in this area is ambiguous,
and this is not helped by willful misinterpretation of a document that is
trying to be clear about which meaning is intended.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
WHITBY TO THE WASH: NORTHEAST VEERING EAST 4 OR 5. FAIR. GOOD. SLIGHT OR