Re: Work plan for Sender ID

2004-09-13 20:46:09

In <BB168D76-05D0-11D9-9F6C-000A95B3BA44(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> Andrew Newton
<andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> writes:

First, the PRA document is not being dropped.  Instead, we are
proceeding with a document set that includes a non-encumbered (as far
as we know) scope, "mailfrom", in addition to the "pra" scope.  As we
stated before, the objection to PRA is based on questions of
deployment caused by incompatibilities with open source licenses.
However, there were also a significant number for responses from
participants stating that they had no such deployment issues.

While there were quite a few people (especially by drive-by posters)
who said that they could deploy SenderID with the PRA, many expressed
reservations about the license anyway and only a few said that they
wanted the PRA.

Since the option of advancing SenderID with out the PRA was never
given, I think it is unreasonable to assume that those that express
support for SenderID were really expressing support for the PRA.

For the people who objected to the PRA due to the patent license, I
can't recall anyone that said that they would accept the PRA if other
scopes were allowed also.

I think that the PRA should be dropped since I can see no way that
there will be a rough consensus for advancing it.  Allowing other
scopes will probably not change any of the votes against the PRA, and
may well change some of the votes for it.

I think continuing with the PRA is a very poor use of this working
group's time.

-wayne