Re: Interpreting "v=spf1" (was Work plan for Sender ID)

2004-09-14 09:50:54

Mark Lentczner wrote:

On Sep 13, 2004, at 8:39 PM, wayne wrote:

I again ask that the "v=spf1 " magic number be interpreted as
"spf2.0/mailfrom,helo" in the SenderID spec.

Since "v=spf1" has always been experimental, and changing over time, and hence there is no normative reference for it, I do not think that the next round of drafts should include any official endorsement of what to do with such records.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with implementations deciding to support these records as well. However, I would caution that it seems the opinion of many on this list (myself included), that "v=spf1" be treated as valid for only the "mailfrom" scope. I.e.: as "spf2.0/mailfrom".

Would there be anything wrong with a separate informational draft on this, especially considering that something like your statement above is not readily apparent to implementation authors.

Yakov