Re: SPF and HELO, was Re: SPF PASS

2005-05-26 12:04:04

John L wrote:
Could you show me the SPF records I would use to indicate that mta.example.com is valid as an EHLO but not as a bounce address domain while example.com is a valid bounce address domain but not an EHLO. If it'll help, assume they both have an A record of 12.34.56.78.

You cannot with SPFv1 (based on your assumption). You missed the point: It doesn't matter, primarily the HELO is only checked if the MAIL FROM fails.

A pass from the HELO or MAIL FROM results in SPF PASS status.

My point, which I would have thought was obvious, is that SPF provides no way to say that EHLO example.com or MAIL FROM:<foo(_at_)mta(_dot_)example(_dot_)com> are invalid. In practice, I see quite a lot of forged mail like that, and SPF's inability to deal with it is a significant problem.

Yes, and if people could write the final version the first time then, well, they wouldn't need versions, would they.

It's not that you don't want SPF, you just want it to do more. Stay on board, there are good things coming once they get past the SPFv1 spec.

Terry

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor

Terry Fielder
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
Fax: (416) 441-9085