DNA (was: Re: [spf-help] Re: SPF and SenderID)

2005-07-24 10:25:22

 but on the other hand it's specifically tailored to client SMTP
 ("_VOUCH._SMTP" etc.).  the EHLO domain name can be chosen relatively
 arbitrarily, and you should be careful not to claim that reputable use
 of the EHLO name extends to other services.

that might be why the _vouch qualifies (is specifically linked to) _smtp.

 if DNA can be applied to identities
 established with mechanisms other than the implied CSV-CSA, this MUST in
 my humble opinion be tagged in the accreditation record with a service
 different from "MARID", and as such the interpration will be out of
 scope for the CSV-DNA specification.  we do not want to (potentially)
 repeat the MAIL FROM vs. PRA mistake, do we?

I've read this paragraph several times.  I am simply not understanding it.  At
the least, I have no idea what the reference to tagging with a service
different
from marid means.

 as the two reputations in CSV aren't connected, it is safe to say that
 the recovery will be quick...

 No doubt my confusion is from not reading this thread carefully enough,
 but I do
 not know what "two" reputations are being referenced.  CSV deals with one
 identity, namely the host name provided in the client smtp's helo/ehlo
 command.

 the scenario was that a domain owner had chosen an e-mail provider with
 bad reputation for its MTA name.  if the domain owner switches e-mail
 provider, the new provider's MTA name will be completely independent,
 and the domain owner's sent e-mail will instaneously be rid of the bad
 reputation.

That's why the helo/ehlo name is associated with the MTA operator.  Your
phrasing suggests that the "domain owner" is somehow separate from the "email
provider", whereas the ehlo name IS the email provider.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking