Re: [spf-help] Re: SPF and SenderID

2005-07-21 19:11:02

John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net> wrote:
So your reputation doesn't recover when you move the domain elsewhere?

   Exactly. A 60-day review cycle is considered fast.

  Any review is better than no review.  The original comment was
insinutating that no review was done.

   Comparison of effects _is_ valid...

  Agreed.

I read Kjetil's argument to be that with SPF, your reputation will
not quickly recover, and will inhibit email "From" your domain for
quite a while,

  I'm not sure why that is, as the explanation wasn't clear to me.
Nothing in CSV or SPF that I can see indicates how quickly reputation
will recover.  So assertions that reputation will recover more quickly
for one than the other are unwarranted.

   The absolutely clear intent of CSV is to provide information
showing authorization and authentication by a _domain_ -- not by
some ISP which assigns IP addresses.
whereas with CSV the reputation which will suffer is
that of the MTA sending it, and you can immediately send email
"From" your domain through a different domain's MTA.

  So... CSV ties reputations to domains, or to MTA's?

  The confusion here is that there are multiple domains that may be
used for authorization.  EHLO, and MAIL FROM.  When CSV uses EHLO,
sending "MAIL FROM" a particular domain is invisible to CSV, because
it's not looking at MAIL FROM.  And in that case, reputation is tied
to MTA, not to the "MAIL FROM" domain.

  If CSV uses "MAIL FROM" for reputation, then it has pretty much the
same issue as any other proposal using that field.

  Alan DeKok.