Re: What is going on?!? (FROM The CHAIR)

1997-12-03 11:28:31
At 10:57 PM -0600 12/2/97, you wrote:

I am rather disapointed to see the amount of bickering going on over
non-issues. The whole ascii issue has been blown way out of proportion.
It's only a couple of lines of code people spend an afternoon write the
code and be done with it. Shesh!!

That's my fault.  I've been sick with pneumonia the last couple of weeks
and haven't been able to wade in to bring this to a close.

There are some subtleties here.  I'm just now trying to catch up myself.
I'm unhappy with MIME and armor both as SHOULDs and no MUST to express the
objects. .  This is no way to guarantee interoperability.  Of course the
resolution may simply be that objects MUST be encapsulated in pgp binary
packets and rendition of the packets in some ascii printable form can be
safely relegated to SHOULDs.  There is another thread where this is under
discussion (see "expedience, consensus and editing")

Who the $#(_at_)#$@!!! let David "FUD" Sternlight in here?!? Bad enough his
rants fill up the pgp newsgroups do we really need him here?

IETF mailing lists are open to all who wish to make a contribution.
However (and this is not directed at you Bill, but to all)...

Discussion of these and other off-topic issues should simply be ignored. We
waste more time writing messages about how we should not be talking about
these things than simply not indulging ourselves.  Everyone, please show
some restraint!

THIS IS A TECHNICAL FORUM FOR DISCUSSION OF PGP FORMAT.
THIS IS A TECHNICAL FORUM FOR DISCUSSION OF PGP FORMAT.
THIS IS A TECHNICAL FORUM FOR DISCUSSION OF PGP FORMAT.

Other discussions has no place here.

Is that sufficiently clear?

Well the IETF meeting is next week. I hope that we can get some productive
work done afterwards.

Yes, let's hope.

john  w noerenberg, ii
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
pager: jwn2(_at_)pager(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
  "The great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps
   with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance", 1841