Re: OP and pgp5.0i: some problems

1997-12-04 06:01:27
From:                 Self <maksim>
To:               Ian Brown <I(_dot_)Brown(_at_)cs(_dot_)ucl(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
Subject:          Re: OP and pgp5.0i: some problems
Copies to:        IETF OpenPGP <ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Send reply to:    maksim(_at_)volga(_dot_)net
Date sent:        Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:50:34 +0400

on Thu, 04 Dec 1997 10:22:43  Ian Brown quoted Maksim Otstavnov and
wrote: > > It would be nice but Windows or Mac native Cyrillic
codepages will > > look gibberish to each other. (Of course there are
tools to read > > cp1251 on Mac or Unix, but we aim at Mr Common
User). Normalization to > > KOI8 is currently the only safe way to
achive cross-platform legibility > > (even MS mailers learned to
understand koi8 nowadays). >  > PGP/MIME would be perfect for this. A
MIME encoding of your message > would be signed rather than the
message itself.

Currently, PGP/MIME (RFC2015) allows only 7-bit content. The perfect
solution would be to have an option of 8-bit MIME

(eg
for Russian)

containing clearsigned message.

There are 2 questions:

1) do plugins in existence support the operation?
(of course I would just test it, but it requires installing rather
huge MS Outlook and _warez_ Eudora plugin, the latter not included in
5.0i kit).

2) Should it be documented in OP or in a separate document?

I'd welcome comments from plugins developers.
--
-- Maksim Otstavnov <maksim(_at_)volga(_dot_)net>
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/1059/