Re: OP and pgp5.0i: some problems

1997-12-04 09:09:53
* Hal Finney wrote:
I don't know much about the charset stuff.  Does it just affect how
the signature is calculated, or does it actually affect how the data
is decoded out of a literal packet?

Yes. In cleartext signed messages the conversation is done before hashing.

(2) "charset" setting is somewhat misleading. For instance, when I
sign a 8-bit text content of Windows clipboard, it is usually
meaningful in Windows native coding (the so called Windows-cpXXXX, is

It is a subset of Unicode not a special charset.

I hope not.  Can't we just leave the messages alone?  Trying to translate
an 8-bit Cyrillic document into 7-bit printable US-ASCII sounds like a
nightmare.

Exactly that's what RfC 2015 is for.