Re: Algorithm questions

1998-03-10 09:06:44
In <v04003a04b125f4fa7dcf(_at_)[207(_dot_)230(_dot_)132(_dot_)154]>, on
03/06/98
   at 05:51 PM, Jon Callas <jon(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com> said:

I have a couple of questions about the algorithms specified in the next
draft:

Elliptic Curve: I've added identifiers for EC-encryption and ECDSA. Is
this enough?

X9.42: Should we add it?

ROT-N: The reason this is here is to give an algorithm that all the
proper transforms can be done on -- IV construction, encoding engines,
etc. -- but won't be export controlled in a reference implementation.
This would allow an international team of people to build and test the
reference implementation. However, it has to be defined in more detail
than that to really be interoperable. I think it's both useful and
amusing, but I'm not so committed to it that I've actually done the work
to spec it out. Someone who believes in having it needs to write up the
details. If no one does so, I'm removing it.

Haval: Similar to the above, someone who wants Haval has to decide how
many rounds and the length. In Washington, we agreed that it should be at
least as strong as SHA-1 or RIPEMD160. Someone with an opinion should
state it, or it goes.

Blowfish: Ditto. We need the variant specified.

It would be nice if there were pointers to reference implementations of
these algorithms so we can make sure that everyone is singing from the
same score. :)

William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/esecure.html

Tag-O-Matic: OS/2: Windows done RIGHT!