Re: Moving forward

1999-10-15 18:32:45
At 4:27 PM -0700 1999-10-13, Michael Elkins wrote:
On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 01:15:57PM -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:
  >Any word on what's going on with PGP/MIME? Last I heard a couple of
  >people here were working on some issues but I haven't heard anything
  >since then.
  >
  >I am interested in seeing parallel signatures being added to the
  >protocol. I am not sure if this should be on the PGP/MIME level or
  >the OpenPGP.

IMO, the parallel signature should be left out of PGP/MIME and
OpenPGP. Where it belongs is in an update of RFC1847 (Security
Multiparts) since this is a generic encapsulation of multiple
signatures.

That being said, an update of PGP/MIME would likely only reference
the new specification (RFC2440) instead of RFC1991. Given that
PGP/MIME only specifies what you sign, not the format of the
signature, it is fairly neutral with respect to which spec you are
talking about.

Sorry I've been so distracted by other things since Oslo... nice to hear from you, ME.

I'm trying hard to be unbiased about parallel sigs (having written it) but how about if we (Thomas & I, last I checked) split parallel sigs into a new, separate RFC and we also reference them in the new? OpenPGP/MIME RFC instead?

   dave