DRAFT status and Compatibility testing

2000-03-27 17:22:14
We've talked about moving 2440 to DRAFT for a while now. We need to do this. There are really two things we need: 1) two interoperable implementations, and 2) verification of the requirements of the protocol. Even though we're not meeting in Adelaide, I thought kicking off some interoperability testing during the week would be an IETF'ish thing to do.

Towards 1, I propose the following: We'll exchange encrypted, signed objects exercising the various modes described in 2440. I'll keep score, and publish the results for the WG. To participate, send me a note with subject:

        OpenPGP Compatibility Test 1

with directions on where to find a public key you'd like me to use. I will send an object encrypted with the keys I have and signed with mine on Thursday, Mar 30, 1500+930, at the conclusion of the SAAG meeting.

When you receive the message, decrypt the object, validate the signature, and send me back the results signed with your key. Your response needs to include: the plaintext, what algorithms were used and evidence you've validated my signature. My key is available on the MIT key server.

For 2, we'll need to build a compliance matrix to verify that all the required elements of 2440 have been treated (or not). If we find features that have not been used, or are disputed, I will propose eliminating them unless resolution is desired, and found. I'll start on 2, but I'll be looking for help.

Remember, the subject of the message is: OpenPGP Compatibility Test 1. I'm filtering messages by the subject to get your entry. If you don't use this subject, I might miss you.

The message will go out at the end of the SAAG meeting on Thursday.

best,

--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com