Re: DRAFT status and Compatibility testing

2000-03-28 09:17:10
In <a04310101b5059c6165cd(_at_)[169(_dot_)208(_dot_)192(_dot_)29]>, on 03/27/00
   at 06:41 PM, John  W Noerenberg II <jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> said:

Towards 1, I propose the following:  We'll exchange encrypted, signed
objects exercising the various modes described in 2440.  I'll keep
score, and publish the results for the WG.  To participate, send me a
note with subject:

IMHO what we need to do is put together a suite of test data that conforms
to RFC 2440.

Envelope
--------

Ascii-armor
PGP/MIME

Algorithms
----------

Compresion
Symetric encryption
Public Key encryption
Hash

Signatures
----------

Signature Types
Version 3
Version 4
    -- Hashed Subpackets
    -- Non-Hashed Subpackets

Keys
----

Private Keys
Public Keys
    Version 3
    Version 4
        -- Subkeys

(NOTE: This is not a complete list)

Additionally data sets should be divided into MUST, SHOULD, and OPTIONAL
catagories.

Testing should be done to see if the products are able to generate &
process the various packet types.

Some of the non-RFC2440 packets should be included (X.509, PhotoID,
...ect) so vendors can test that their software can properly handle
non-RFC2440 packets without crashing (this has been a problem with the pks
software).

IIRC someone had a partal data set available but I do not know if it is
still around nor if it has been updated.

William H. Geiger III                    http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting

Data Security & Cryptology Consulting
Programming, Networking, Analysis