Re: rfc2440bis-02 comments

2000-12-26 20:33:04
Len, exactly what problem is you proposal intended to solve?  You
said:

    One of the major complaints I hear about PGP key servers is the inability
    to delete keys once they are sent to the server. I'd like to request the
    addition of two new flags for subpacket 23:

Why do these people want to delete their keys?

- They lost the private key or forgot the passphrase.

  Like Derek, this is by far the most common reason I get email from
  people who want their keys deleted.  Your proposal doesn't solve
  this problem, since they can't modify the key to change the
  keyserver preferences.

- They don't want anybody to know they have a key.

  It doesn't solve this problem, either, as others have pointed out.

- The key is compromised.

  In this case, they should revoke it.

- I don't want my key on the keyservers at all.

  Your proposal solves this problem, but in my experience, this almost
  never happens.

or is there another problem I've missed?

                Marc