Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

2001-01-25 03:10:03
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Thomas Roessler wrote:

[S] Include wildcard value for "micalg" parameter.  (Makes generating
    OpenPGP/MIME messages much easier in some situations, but breaks
    one-pass processing, of course.  Today, the majority of
    OpenPGP/MIME installations/implementations doesn't deal correctly
    with this parameter anyway.)

I don't think we should break one of the basic design goals of MIME.

Agreed.  For historical reasons, micalg was always md5 and nobody
cared about it because it does not make sense.

However, it is pretty easy to set micalg to the correct value, given
that a) it should nearly always be SHA1 today, b) that I know no
mail implementaion which creates a signed message without first
storing the entire message (and it does not make sense to create a
multi hundred megabyte signed email becuase the majority of MUAs
will not be able to handle them unless they have a huge swap space
and are alloed to use these amounts of memory) and c) that many MTAs
do limit the maximum size of a message for good reasons.

   Werner

--
Werner Koch
<wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org>