Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

2001-01-25 05:18:15
Werner,

From: Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

What they should do is to parse the beginning of the message.  Well,
okay than it is not anymore simple to implemnt it, becuase you need
a base64 decoder and some OpenPGP packet parsing code.

I know it is easy for you to implement a PGP parser. :-) Also, it is
not so difficult for me to do it. ;-)

Actually, I implemented a parser called "pgpdump".
        ftp://pgp.iijlab.net/pub/tools/

# gpg --list-packet was not enough for me to visualize PGP packets.

Nonetheless, it is not so easy for many PGP/MIME programmers to embed
such PGP parser functionality to their MIME UAs.

For PGP I would just ignore that parameter; don't know about S/MIME.

This is a point. This means that the micalg parameter is meaningless.
I wonder why we should make an effort to set a correct value to such a
meaningless value?

Or if you are suggesting just to set a bogus value to the micalg
parameter because it is meaningless, why don't you support the idea of
wildcard value?

P.S.

The micalg parameter and the protocol parameter bites me always.

--Kazu