Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

2001-01-22 11:09:33
On 2001-01-22 09:34:54 -0800, Michael Elkins wrote:

Can someone remind me what the difference between text mode and
binary mode signatures is?  We're always going to need to muck
with the line endings, no way around that.  But I don't see how
that precludes one-pass processing if your client is smart enough
to canonicalize each line of text and pass it in a pipe (or
stream) to the OpenPGP engine.

With traditional PGP, text mode just meant that you canonicalized
the line ends.  That is, RFC 2015 had one-pass abilities by
mandating canonicalization.

With OpenPGP, text mode means stripping trailing white space, and
then canonicalizing line ends.  So you'll have to compute two hashes
when going over the message.

(OpenPGP's concept of text mode is basically what traditional PGP
used for clearsigning.)

--
Thomas Roessler                     <roessler(_at_)does-not-exist(_dot_)org>