Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

2001-01-22 10:24:21
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:13:08PM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
If everyone would just be using binary signatures, the problem
wouldn't occur, right.  Bad enough, most current implementations
seem to rely on text-mode signatures.

Also, using the new text-mode signatures with the restrictions in
the draft actually has the nice side-effect of moving PGP/MIME
closer to one of the features found throughout MIME: Resistance
against tampering with trailing whitespace.  It's not really helpful
if changes which don't affect the message's contents are detected by
PGP/MIME.

(But, of course, if most people here feel that binary mode should be
used, we could still change the text.)

Can someone remind me what the difference between text mode and binary mode
signatures is?  We're always going to need to muck with the line endings, no
way around that.  But I don't see how that precludes one-pass processing if
your client is smart enough to canonicalize each line of text and pass it in
a pipe (or stream) to the OpenPGP engine.

me