Re: OpenPGP vs. OpenPGP/MIME

2002-02-16 17:22:23

Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org>:
At 10:50 AM +0100 2/13/02, Thomas Roessler wrote:

does not work with many mailing lists (that are configured to
remove attachments),

Such mailing lists are broken.

As someone who runs a number of such "broken" mailing lists, I "broke" them
because I consider the security risk of my list being use to spread the
latest Outlook thingie to be much higher than the damage caused by breaking
them.

So it's not about multipart messages, but about dangerous Content-Types?
Dangerous Content-Type values have nothing to do with whether a
message is a multipart message or not.  Any Content-Type can be named
directly in the main message headers, and completely harmless
Content-Types can be named in the individual body parts of a multipart
message.

      It also prevents the inevitable newbie who sends a picture or movie
as an attachment, causing a dozen people to go over their mail quotas.

Again, this has nothing to do with multiparts.  If you want to prevent
huge messages, set an appropriate message size limit.