Timestamp Signatures (was Re: Notary signatures)

2002-04-25 17:58:37

Here's what I believe timestamp signatures are for --

The hard problem in digital signatures is knowing what they mean. The
semantic content of the signature. Lots of ink has been spilled on this.

The 0x40 timestamp signature is a semantic notation. What it says is "I saw
this blob of data at time T. I know nothing more nor assert nothing other
than I saw it at that time."

It is thus a way for an entity to do nothing but -- well, timestamp it.

    Jon