Re: Timestamp Signatures (was Re: Notary signatures)

2002-04-25 18:55:17

On 4/25/2002 6:18 PM, "David Shaw" <dshaw(_at_)jabberwocky(_dot_)com> wrote:

A regular 0x00 or 0x01 signature has no defined meaning, so it can
therefore mean anything the signer and recepient agree on it to mean.

Or what a litigant can convince a judge or jury that any reasonable person
would have thought it to mean. That's the downside of no defined meaning in
a world where there are laws about what signatures mean.

The 0x40 is just like these signatures except that it is has the
defined meaning of "timestamp". ?  Ok, I get it.  I imagine this is
something that if done today would be done with a signature notation.

Is it possible to get some language in the draft saying what an 0x40
signature is issued on (binary or canonical text data)?

All signatures are on binary content. A text-mode signature is on binary
content that conforms to some rules. Or so I think. :-)

    Jon