Re: Adding GOST as a cipher?

2005-01-21 05:39:29

Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:

* Ian G wrote:
It would however be a nuisance if it was "rushed in" only to find out
later that it is ... not quite right.  I gather there are rather a lot of
options behind the simple 'GOST' word?  Is this the algorithm where the
S-Boxes aren't specified in the standard?

Exactly. GOST is assumed to be more vulnerable than DES.

Hmmm... What is our take on adding an algorithm
less well respected than DES?  It was never considered
as being useful in the past.

Perhaps the fine line is walked by saying that the
paramaters get added but there is a warning that
there are security issues with the algorithms, and
they become a MAY implement, for markets that
have regulatory requirements?

Once upon a time, PGP was the tool of cryptorebels.
These days however, it is not their sole preserve.
Are clients and preferences up to allowing two
opposing communities to co-exist in peace?

iang

--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
       http://financialcryptography.com/