Re: Some -15 comments

2005-11-15 06:26:55

Jon Callas wrote:

We discussed a change to 5.2.3.16 (Notation Data) on the list to
change:

     First octet: 0x80 = human-readable. This note value is text, a
                         note from one person to another, and need
                         not have meaning to software.
to:
     First octet: 0x80 = human-readable. This note value is text.

Any way that can go in?  I'm perfectly happy to get an "I Told You So"
if someone is confused :)

I remember the discussion, I just don't remember the agreement. Such is the way with rough consensus.

Does it matter one way or the other? I admit to being confused as to why it matters. Enlighten me, please.

I agree with the second reading.  The first tries
to define something that eludes definition, and
any attempt to further define it takes us inevitably
into needing more flags (as per Daniel's discussion).