Re: Outstanding question - rule on cleartext signing last line

2005-12-26 09:34:08

David Shaw wrote:

Can you give an example of why you feel this is a bug?

I think it is a bug if we decide that the
process of cleartext signing is reversable.

So, if the process of verification creates
a file that is the pre-signed version, then
it has to decide whether the final CRLF has
to be preserved or stripped in the unsigned
output.

So, does this output as a line terminated
string or as an unterminated string? :

Now, if we decide that the process of signing
is not one that is deterministically reversable,
it is not an issue.  In practice, verification
is possibly all we need - and we have that.

(I have been unable to convince myself that we
need reversibility - I can't think of a case
where I would want it... but that's just me!)

iang